I love making tiny foods! And even more so when they take little to no effort but look as though they did. Personally, I think puff pastry can make anything look fancy. And luckily, the frozen Pepperidge Farm sheets are accidentally vegan! This recipe makes 72 puffs.
- 1 box of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets
- 2 8oz containers of cream cheese (Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese is the only vegan brand I use)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1.5 tablespoons chopped chives
- Thaw for 40 minutes at room temperature.
- Unfold each sheet and slice like the below diagram.*
- Gently press squares into a miniature cupcake pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and place on a cooling rack.
- Repeat until all pastry is baked. Refrigerate unused pastry between batches.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Whip together cream cheese and apple cider vinegar.
- Fold in dill and chives.
- Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Break each puff in half. Just pull it apart, don’t cut it.
- Fill a pastry bag with the cream cheese mixture. Be sure your tip has doesn’t have teeth that are too close for the chives to be pushed through or it will clog.
- Pipe a small, but tall, dollop on each puff and gently set the top half of the puff on top of the cream cheese.
You can bake the puff pastry in advance and leave at room temperature uncovered overnight. It will stay crisp. Fill with cream cheese just before needed. If you refrigerate the puff, it will lose its crispiness and become chewy.
* Each box comes with 2 sheets of puff pastry. Each sheet is folded into thirds.
- Lay the pastry sheet with fold lines placed vertically.
- Cut the sheet in half horizontally.
- Cut the sheet vertically along each fold line.
- Cut each of those in half vertically.
- You’re left with 12 strips. Cut each of those into thirds horizontally.
- Repeat for the second pastry sheet and you should have 72 squares.